Monday, July 16, 2007

weekend recap


What a weird/interesting weekend. Between Friday and Saturday, I hit a total of seven nightlife venues, and came away with a whole bunch of insights. A sampling:

*My first venture into Plush, the new hip-hop club at 2955 Warm Springs Road, was relatively uneventful. Friday, my friends and I got there around 11:30 to avoid paying a cover charge, and there were maybe a dozen people in the entire place. It could have been the timing, though, as the bouncer promised us there would be a full house by 12:30 a.m. We were impatient, however. So I'm not passing judgment yet, although I seriously question whether the club's upscale vibe (there's a $20 cover at times) is fit for Columbus. Someone recently told me it costs $50 to park right next to the club, and there's a jacuzzi inside that hosts $500 VIP parties. Remember, this is a club that sits next to rich-and-famous landmarks like Burger King.

*Another place that was kinda dead? EndZone Sports Bar & Grill, which is right next to the Johnston Mill Lofts in Bibb City. There's a great ambiance, as the bar is inside an actual gym. And there's food. The only missing element? People. The club isn't having its official grand opening until Aug. 4, so I'll keep you posted.

*Last night I got into a relatively interesting discussion about all the "secret" gay clubs in town, including a new one on the south side of town that's reportedly slated to open Aug. 4. I'll follow up on this more in a future post.

*I saw at least three fights happen downtown. Among those was a girl who took off her shoes and threatened to beat up a bouncer at Oxygen. She lost.

*Finally, I continue to be amazed at how aggressive some guys are in trying to pick up women downtown, and I don't really understand why. In situations when a woman clearly isn't interested, why does the guy stick around?

Is he dense? Is the girl not being obvious enough? Is he sticking around out of perseverance?