Monday, May 18, 2009

Bud Light Lime, anyone?

I have absolutely no shame in holding a bottle of beer displaying the phrase "pomegranate infusion."

But maybe that's just me.

Here, Jezebel is critical of the growing crop of "girlie beers." The piece talks about how increasingly, beers with ingredients like elderberry and elderflower are being marketed exclusively toward women.

I'm all for drinking in moderation -- and taking all measures possible to avoid the dreaded beer gut -- but you can't assume women will drink dainty cosmopolitans every time they're put in a social drinking environment.

This is especially true on the Columbus bar scene, where it's often safer to opt for a bottle of beer than put your faith in a bartender's shaky mixology skills.

The rise of "girlie beers" hasn't upped my drinking at all. If nothing else, I'm glad there's an option other the usual Bud Light.

Glad enough to even drink this strawberry-flavored brew in public.