Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's hard being beautiful

Almost everyone has a female friend who responds to your Saturday night plans with an exaggerated groan.

"Ugh. I don't know if I want to go out. I'm tired of every guy downtown hitting on me," she says.

This is the same friend who complains about her job -- because nobody takes her seriously since she's so hot.

You smile and nod, but can't help pondering one question:

Is being beautiful really that hard?

Maybe not. Here, Psychology Today debunks the idea of a "plight" of pretty women. Of the disgruntled hot chick, the article notes:

It seems that the beauty that plights her is the same beauty that provides her with special opportunities unavailable to those of us left waiting behind the velvet ropes of normalcy.

I've always viewed the "I hate being beautiful" argument on the same level as "I hate being a celebrity." Yes, there are inevitable drawbacks. But even with those drawbacks, you're still living a lifestyle that's above the realm of normal existence.

Thoughts?