Friday, November 12, 2010

Single and stressed?

Being in a committed relationship can make you less susceptible to the effects of stress, according to research results mentioned in this USA Today article.

The news is an extension of a long-held belief that marriage protects you from some stress.

After I found this article, I spent a couple hours wondering if I've been more stressed out when I'm single or in a relationship.

It made me remember the flaw of research like the findings mentioned in USA Today.

Sure, romantic ties can lessen your stress load, but that's assuming you're in a stable, happy relationship.

I'd assume a significant other's presence alone can't make you less stressed. That person has to actively be taking measures to make you happy.

Weigh in: Are you less stressed while in a relationship?