Friday, November 14, 2008

don't stop believin'

Happy Friday! Is it just me, or has this week been, like, the slowest five days ever?

Today College Candy has this piece about alcohol's common tendency to make you want to sing. True on all counts.

I'm not picky with my drunken singing, although I do have a soft spot for Pearl Jam's "Daughter." Then again, I voluntarily listen to Hanson when I'm sober, so this is all relative.

I can't write about drunk singing without mentioning a college roommate who bought a karaoke machine for our room -- and generally only busted it out after 2 a.m. Annoying? Only if you lack musical appreciation for Mandy Moore's "Candy."

Anyway, "Don't Stop Believin'" is the most commonly cited drunk-singing tune in the College Candy piece.

Coincidentally, my nightlife column this week is about that very song's appeal.

When Journey tribute band Chain Reaction comes to The Roadhouse Saturday, they are likely to cash in on some serious drunk singers. Hopefully, I'll get pictures.

What's your favorite song to perform while drunk?