Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Is American Idol sexy?

When I stumbled upon a list of the 10 sexiest American Idol moments, my reaction was simple: "This will not turn out well."

I clicked, closed my eyes and hoped 17-year-old finalist Aaron Kelly wasn't involved.

Mission accomplished.

With all its tired references to "dawg" and "pitchy," the Fox reality show doesn't exactly scream "sexy." But it has a way of strengthening relationships.

For my first three years covering "Idol," I was a nomad with no cable and Internet at home. I set up shop either in front of my office TV, or in a generous friend's living room.

Things changed this year, when my boyfriend finally got cable.

I, in turn, found a permanent blogging station. I also found a permanent viewing partner.

Sure, the show didn't necessarily generate complex political debates, but it filled our conversations on Wednesday results nights.

Most importantly, it reminded me of the importance of investing yourself in someone else's passions. Even if those passions involve one too many covers of "Against All Odds."

Watching tonight's "Idol" finale? Get live updates here.