Thursday, July 28, 2011

More Sex and the City films?

I would have been OK with one "Sex and the City" film.

In fact, I went into the first film convinced I would hate it. I was pleasantly surprised. I went to the second film with similarly low expectations. I wasn't so pleasantly surprised.

My only consolation: "At least the franchise knows when to end its time in the movie world."

That might not be the case.

Check out this report of a possible "Sex and the City" prequel starring actresses like Blake Lively and Selena Gomez. The film would follow the four main characters through their teens into their 20s, but the report says no contracts have been signed.

If this film moves forward, it would give "Sex and the City" a distinctly different fan base than the 20- and 30-somethings who have long embraced the series.

At the risk of sounding selfish, I'm not ready to share "Sex and the City."

I don't want it to be discussed in the same context as Justin Bieber and former Disney stars. I want "Sex and the City" to remain an example of wit and sophistication in pop culture, not the film world's version of a cheap cosmopolitan made with house vodka.

Am I overreacting?