Thursday, May 1, 2008

combat dating zones

Today's nightlife column talks about the way women react to military guys downtown -- especially given the 1,400 single soldiers who are returning to town.

When I first heard about the skewed male/female ratio here, I had all these visions of occupying a giant harem of males and never paying for a drink for the rest of my life.

Turns out it's not that cool after all.

I've had some genuinely interesting conversations with military guys at nightclubs. Just as prevalent, however, are the pushy solidiers who won't let you decline their advances nicely. Often, even after you've politely refused, they hit on you so aggressively that your entire night gets ruined.

It can be really overwhelming, especially for girls who have moved here after being exposed only to the college dating scene.

In the nearly two years I've been here, I've watched female friends initially opposed to the military find long-term, trusting relationships with soldiers.

I've also seen friends obsess over soldiers without having a full grasp on what they were getting themselves into.

Your best bet, ladies? Be direct, and know how to fight your own battles.