Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving, Black Friday & more

Blackout Wednesday. Thanksgiving. Black Friday.

Welcome to the excitement that dominates the rest of the week. Tonight, people will fill bars across town for what's often called the biggest party night of the year.

Thursday, people will gather around the Thanksgiving table for family time. Friday, people will wait outside stores at ungodly hours for sales that may or may not be remarkable.

My Thanksgiving weeks have been anything but consistent throughout the years, mainly due to the strange work schedule that comes with a career in journalism.

It's been quite some time since I had a traditional Thanksgiving with my own family...at my own home...with my own familiar foods. I try to forget that fact, but it still makes me a little sad.

However, my mood changes when I remember I've been blessed enough to always find a surrogate family on Thanksgiving.

So to all my families, old and new...thank you.