Wednesday, January 31, 2007

don't mess with my man

OK, so I guess I don't technically have a "man" -- unless Grow a Boyfriend counts -- but if I did, I wouldn't want you messing with him.
In an ideal world, I'd be planning lust-filled exotic vacations with Patrick Dempsey, or, more practically, the short-term fling whose MySpace I visit daily.
But we don't live in an ideal world, and that means we must often face the harsh realization that the men of our dreams are taken. And then we move on.
At least that's what's supposed to happen.
However, it doesn't always work that way, and in recent years I've seen more and more of my female friends regard a crush's girlfriend, wife or wife-to-be as merely a speedbump in the road of life.
In my experience, plenty of girls won't think twice before pursuing an attached man -- even if they're lured simply by the appeal of wanting something they can't have.
Now before glaring images of "skank," "tramp" and "ho-bag" invade your minds, let me play devil's advocate. Aren't relationships supposed to be governed by the unexpected? And if so, isn't it possible that the invasion of a third party can actually make us more aware of what we want out of love?
In short, who -- if anyone -- do you consider off-limits? Have dating rules changed to the point where it's OK to pursue someone who's attached? What about someone who used to be attached to one of your friends?
Give me your thoughts, maneaters.
And in the meantime, happy hump day. Behave appropriately.