Tuesday, June 24, 2008

dive in

Yesterday, I blogged about high-tech H2O. Now, I'm taking on the opposite side of the nightlife scene.

Here's an article about the best, worst and dirtiest dive bars in the U.S. No, there aren't any entries from Columbus, but I think some of our hot spots could seriously make the cut.

I've been doing my bar profile feature in the To Do section for a little over a year now, and I've explored some places that most people are afraid to enter. BJ's Brew and Cue. Bobby's Bar. Gray's Bar. Pop-A-Top. You get the idea.

As much as some people in the office make fun of me for doing dive spots as bar profiles, believe it or not I get the most feedback on those articles. At least 10 people called me thanking me for introducing them to Pop-A-Top. I guess that's a good thing. Maybe.

Anyway, now I want your votes for memorable Columbus dives. Per the article's inspiration, your categories are best, worst and dirtiest. What's more, I'd like your definitions of what makes a bar a "dive."

I'll post results -- as well as a compilation of my dive bar experiences -- later this week.

(And don't worry, Troy, your Sputnik bar profile is coming up.)