Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Marriage o'clock

I recently spent 15 minutes trying to back out of my boyfriend's driveway. Alone.

It was a colossal waste of time. I could have just asked my boyfriend to back the car out himself, or at least shout directions through my window. Instead, I aimlessly navigated the process myself -- and nearly damaged my car.

The strange thing? I got an adrenaline rush when the ordeal was over.

When you're in a relationship, there's often a weird sense of elation that comes with accomplishing a task alone. I get a high from moments that remind me I haven't yet become one of "those girls" who can't even drive a car in a husband's absence.

I love my independence, yet I cringe at the suggestion of spending my whole life alone.

That dilemma slightly summarizes the essence of this essay from The Atlantic: "All the Single Ladies." It's hard to succinctly explain what the essay is "about," but it starts off with the writer breaking up with her boyfriend when she was 28. Ten years later, she remains unmarried.

It's an interesting read that details issues too complex for this concise blog post. (Among those issues? A concept of "marriage o'clock.") Read it and tell me what you think.