Thursday, April 24, 2008

sex & feminism

I, too, once decorated walls with "Sex and the City" quotations. I copied the show's fashions. I even used it as post-breakup consolation.

Now, however, I get a little leery every time a friend mentions the SATC movie.

Shortly after college, I hit a point where all my conversations with my female friends centered around who's getting married. Or who wants to get married.

To some extent, it was great. We were having the talks that in mind were previously confined to Carrie & company on the small screen.

But at the same time, I became more cognizant of the fact that in our efforts to "bond," we conveniently forgot to ask each other about the jobs we'd envisioned since college.

As I got more and more frustrated with friends who had given up careers in the name of love, I felt almost guilty for being such a huge fan of a show that some argue does nothing but endorse that decision.

Which makes me want to know your thoughts on the question this article raises:

Can a feminist really love "Sex and the City"?