Monday, April 7, 2008

sex & science


It's an odd pairing, and one that definitely contradicts all memories of anyone who ever taught me about protons and neutrons.

But so much scientific research has been devoted to sex that this author even made an entire book of it, conveniently titled "Bonk."

The aforementioned link brings you to a review of the book, where you'll learn stuff like the fact that the San Francisco Fire Department has its own special shorthand for sex toy emergencies.

Oh, and a Chicago study revealed that men's colognes surprisingly(?) reduce physical arousal in women.

While looking for blog-worthy material, I usually read at least one of these studies daily, whether it be analyzing physical attractiveness or the appropriate duration of sex sessions. I like to tell myself it's my job.

Do they have any worth beyond a role as conversation ice breakers? Probably not. But I won't complain.

Craving some sexual science? Check out this article about researchers in Tel Aviv who have taught a computer how to recognize attractiveness in women. Luckily, the computers here at the L-E still can't even recognize the "on" command.