Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cheating. Explained.

I was always sort of oblivious to the weather...until I lived in Wisconsin for four years. That's when I really understood the sky's ability to impact human behavior.

Sure, one cloudy day might not make a difference. But waking up to cloudy skies over...and over...and over...can weigh on your mood.

That's why I wasn't too shocked upon finding this headline: "Changes in weather add to birds’ marital woes."

Of course, the logic is a little more complicated than "it's cold, I'm depressed and I'm tired of this relationship."

Long story short: Research suggests that in birds, infidelity is more common in severe weather. Why? "Because birds seek different traits in their mates as conditions change." We're talking about food-gathering skills, not kissing talents.

Our reasoning might be different, but I can see weather impacting infidelity in humans, too. Based on pure speculation, I'd say we're more likely to cheat in spring and summer, when the warm weather brings us out of social hibernation and back into the party scene.

Also, those months are devoid of couples-focused holidays like Christmas, New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day.

What do you think?