Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day survival guide

Happy Valentine's Day! So...how are you holding up? Any major breakdowns or office flower delivery drama?

I've never been a Valentine's Day hater, even in my single years. The holiday is often more comfortable when you're in a relationship, but having a significant other hardly guarantees a hassle-free Valentine's Day.

Once you have a partner, you have to deal with outside judgment about where you're going for dinner, what kind of flowers you received and everything in between.

Breathe. We'll get through this. Here are some Valentine's-related links you might enjoy:

Time magazine has an interesting "Valentine's Day by the numbers" roundup. Fun fact: There's an estimated 40 percent increase in requests for divorce lawyers around mid-February each year, according to the article.

Jezebel taught me something cool. Type this equation into Google and see what happens:

sqrt(cos(x))*cos(300x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7) *(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(6-x^2), -sqrt(6-x^2) from -4.5 to 4.5

My colleague Sara Pauff has a great blog post about online PDA and how Facebook has possibly killed the traditional love letter.

Finally, in a bit of shameless self-promotion, I'll note that I have a new radio gig. I'm a relationship correspondent on "Time Out with Sam Mitchell," which airs 3-5 p.m. Monday through Friday on Fox Sports Radio 1460 AM.

You can hear me around 3:15 p.m. today (special Valentine's segment), as well as 3:15 p.m. Fridays. Listen to the show online here.