Monday, October 8, 2007

h 2 oh no

Today I had lunch at Sumo A-Go-Go for the second time. It's a welcome addition to the downtown lunch scene, particularly because sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a $10 sandwich. I love the rice bowls at the Sumo place...they're affordable and healthy. (At least that's what I tell myself.)

That said, my intense affection for the place was hampered when I asked for a glass of water with my rice bowl.

Tap water, apparently, costs 25 cents.

My reaction was nothing short of awe. I mean, I had just paid $6 for lunch. I can't think of any other lunch place downtown that charges you for water, assuming you buy food there. In fact, once I met some sources for an interview at Locos Amigos Cantina, where I ordered NO food and still got a free glass of water.

So right now I'm really torn. I love the food at Sumo, and the staff seems nice enough, but the whole water situation just rubs me the wrong way. The (very friendly) owner made some small talk with me on my way out, and I contemplated just point-blank asking him why they charge for H2O.

What would you do? Is it weird that this bothers me? (Remember, I'm operating on a journalist's salary, in which 25 cents equals roughly two hours of work.)