Wednesday, May 7, 2008

'bound' for disaster?

Happy Hump Day!

Thursday's nightlife column is about new rules for breakup etiquette. OK, no more details. I'll leave you in suspense for the next 24 hours.

Something I thought about including in the column -- but didn't -- is the idea of a rebound relationship. A friend recently told me that there's no such thing as a rebound mate, since every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

(Yes, I did just quote "Closing Time." Have a problem with that?)

I think the "rebound" category classifies mainly-physical relationships that are used to mask emotions from a former heartbreak.

That said, do you think it's possible, and not at all sketchy, to genuinely fall for someone one week after a breakup? One day after a breakup?

At what point is it just a new relationship and not a rebound?