Thursday, May 15, 2008

when life doesn't deliver...

Today was one of my most memorable days in Columbus. I got to work at 9 a.m. in order to write two articles and film a TV commentary by 11. While I was in the elevator, I learned there had been a fire in our paper's pressroom and today's papers hadn't been delivered.

At first I kind of just shrugged and went back to thinking about "The Hills." Yes, I'm an evil, evil person.

Then I learned I'd be helping deliver the remaining papers. And I had an hour to finish my remaining articles.

I was one of the last ones out of the newsroom, and I knew this would be a good day when I got lost on my way to the distribution warehouse. Which is, like, two miles from my office. Stop laughing.

Anyway, I made it to the warehouse in time and then spent the next three hours delivering papers with our business editor, Elizabeth Conner. My invisible sense of direction really added nothing to the equation.

To outsiders, probably, the whole thing sounds kind of ghetto and unnecessary. But there was something really nice about returning to the newsroom and listening to everybody's war stories. Not to mention learning that people care so much about our product that they'll sit out on the porch in the rain waiting to receive it.

Just don't ask me to find that warehouse again.