Friday, November 5, 2010

Why aren't you married?

Congratulations to my colleague Katie Holland, whose wedding is approaching! With luck, she'll give me a new set of Facebook wedding photos to stalk.

I envy Katie because she'll be exempt from one of my most despised parts of the holiday season:

"When are you getting married?"

The question enters some family gatherings, though I think its frequency is somewhat exaggerated.

Honestly, I get the marriage question more often at Columbus supermarkets than at the Sorich Family Thanksgiving Extravaganza.

Then again, maybe that's just because my family prefers to gossip about my relationship status behind my back. Just kidding, guys!

Awkward conversation topics are bound to enter holiday gatherings. Fortunately, Glamour has this list of smart responses to inappropriate personal questions.

The good news -- or bad news, depending how you look at it -- is that overly personal inquiries apparently don't stop once you're married.

Your marriage gives people the freedom to ask you about babies. Even if you have kids, nosy folks can still pry into your career.

Since awkward conversation starters aren't going away, it's probably best to shift your attention to your response.

Yes, you have my permission to resort to juvenile fart jokes.