Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Are catcalls flattering?

While walking to work, you get an inevitable greeting from across the street: "Nice legs!"

It's annoying. Immature. Demeaning. And...flattering?

Jezebel offers an interesting discussion about whether there's anything appealing about catcalls. It's prompted by a recent advice column in which a writer confesses she missed catcalls upon getting old.

Here's an excerpt from the Jezebel piece:

Real talk: I'd be lying if I said I'd never in my life been flattered by a catcall. There's a variety that can be nonthreatening — I don't really mind some guy saying "hey beautiful" to me on the sidewalk, and if I'm in the right frame of mind, it can feel kind of nice. The problem is that this can verge all too quickly into scary territory.

I, too, am occasionally flattered by catcalls.

But then I usually remind myself there's probably nothing special about me that warrants the compliments.

No, I'm not being too hard on myself.

I think that if guys are going to make a habit out of shouting at women from a street corner, they're not too serious about a "type." They just want a living, breathing woman.

Right?