Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Do you believe in Magic?

I'd like your thoughts on a dating debacle/adventure that's making waves online.

Here's a female writer's account of what happened when she dabbled in online dating and ended up going out with a world champion "Magic: The Gathering" player.

Things didn't end well. An excerpt:

Maybe I'm shallow for not being able to see past Jon's world title. I'll own that. But there's a larger point here: that judging people on shallow stuff is human nature; one person's Magic is another person's fingernail biting, or sports obsession, or verbal tic.

No online dating profile in the world is comprehensive enough to highlight every person's peccadillo, or anticipate the inane biases that each of us lugs around.

By the way, "Magic: The Gathering" is a collectible card game.

I know this largely because I spent a period of time smitten for someone obsessed with the game. It never really bothered me. A hobby is a hobby, right?

That said, I'm certainly not in the position to judge other people's dating dealbreakers. I didn't entirely hate the writer after reading about her decision to judge a guy "because he's a nerd." But she could have presented things slightly, um, more pleasantly.

Do you think the essay is too harsh?