Friday, December 2, 2011

Britney Spears: 30 and Fabulous?

So, um, Britney Spears is 30.

This news comforts me, since my mind has been swirling with thoughts regarding my upcoming 30th birthday. (By the way...it's Jan. 9. I like lip gloss and Starbucks gift cards. Thanks for asking.)

My opinion might change in a month, but right now I don't have any big anxiety about turning 30. I mean, it's not like I've just been lounging around the couch during these past few years.

I've driven across the country. Written (relatively) coherent articles about topics ranging from politics in California to the Columbus, Ga., entertainment scene. I've finished multiple half marathons, despite hating exercise for the first 15 years of my life.

Wow...sorry for that brief bragging session. To bring things back to reality, I'm having a really bad hair day and there's a nasty smell in my laundry room.

Anyway, my existence is worlds away from Britney's universe. While some people say her vocals are processed and her fashion choices are often questionable, it's hard to hate Ms. Spears. Her ability to rebound -- even amid life's toughest times -- is reassuring.

And as I prepare to turn 30, that's exactly what I need: reassurance that life really does improve with time.