Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Drinking with Mom and Dad

Happy holidays! Since many of you are likely heading home for Christmas, I figured this was a good time to offer some words of caution about drinking with Mom and Dad.

Some people stay away from the actively entirely. Others embrace it, savoring a chance to view Mom and Dad as equals amid a backdrop of poor karaoke.

And me? I'm somewhere in between.

I've had cocktails with my parents, but never to the point of "I'm so drunk, I can't believe I just said that."

As cool as it is to shatter the barriers of authority, I'm old school in my perceptions of parental units. I want them to be parents, not friends. I don't necessarily want to hear their stories of failed romantic flings and/or previous drunken escapades.

Go ahead, take Mom to the bar. But limit your fun...and pick up her tab.