Friday, December 16, 2011

Dating a journalist

Props to my local media friend Sarah Panko for directing me to this article, "5 things you should know before dating a journalist."

The post has attracted 350 comments, many of which center on a debate over whether "towards" is a word.

I love it...and while I hate to say it, I agree with the warnings.

My favorite is No. 2: "At some point, you will be a topic." Everyone I've dated -- even a single date -- has been inspiration for one of my columns or blog posts. Go ahead, call me the Taylor Swift of journalism. No, really. Do it.

I've been fortunate in that nobody has ever complained -- to my face -- about appearing in a column.

Actually, the only memorable criticism I received was from my current boyfriend, a fellow journalist. Early in our relationship, I told him I'd put him in a column and he responded, "I'd prefer to get my fame in other ways."

Ouch, right? Not like I'm still bitter or anything.