Thursday, January 19, 2012

Awful First Dates

My colleague Katie recommended I write a blog post about this book, "Awful First Dates: Hysterical, True, and Heartbreakingly Bad."

Great idea.

Fortunately, I've avoided the unbearable first dates that likely dominate this book. Sure, not every first date has been paradise.

While I can cite many memories of conversation lulls and general awkwardness, those dates also involved guys who were kind enough to buy me dinner and listen to me tell stories that were likely too long and involved for a first encounter.

There are certainly exceptions...but when it comes to discussing awful dates, the responsibility often rests with two people. Even if that's hard to admit.

Weigh in: How do you define an awful first date? Does a lack of chemistry alone warrant that definition, or does the offense need to be more severe?