Friday, January 27, 2012

Cook for me, honey

I'm in love with an arugula-obsessed mystery man.

I've long fantasized about finding a partner with an affinity for gourmet cooking. My expectations are probably unrealistic. I hint at dishes that require elaborate preparation and ingredients not available on the local supermarket scene.

My fantasy becomes a problem when reality hits. And by "reality," I mean the fact that my boyfriend's cooking repertoire generally consists of Hamburger Helper.

Which brings me to Thursday night. I worked until 7:30 p.m. and had to do some "American Idol" blogging at 8 p.m. Dinner plans were nonexistent. I threw a minor hissy fit.

My boyfriend offered to make me Hamburger Helper.

It's nice to have at least one specialty dish in your arsenal of talents. Need help? There are still a few spots left in Dinner Divas' Feb. 2 cooking class, which will teach you how to cook a romantic meal for two. The class is at 6 p.m. and cost is $30.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have rejected the Hamburger Helper on Thursday. After all, any offer to cook is a leap of faith. It's scary when success depends on dubious measurements and oven times.

And while my arugula-obsessed fantasy man might put good food on the table, he hardly promises good conversation.

Pass the Hamburger Helper, please.