Thursday, January 26, 2012

Long-distance marriages

Some people say that at the earliest stages of a romance, a long-distance setup can actually strengthen a relationship.

You build an identity outside your partner. You define your relationship by things other than physical pleasure. You learn the ins and outs of Skype.

But what about a long-distance marriage?

I couldn't resist clicking on this article, "I moved 7 hours away from my husband."

Short summary: The writer moved hours away from her husband to achieve her career goals. And yes, she's still married.

The idea seemed odd at first, but then I realized I know at least three couples who have had long-distance marriages. Not to mention all my friends with military ties -- although military separations are distinctly different from the example I just described.

So...if you're married, would you accept a dream job seven hours away if your spouse couldn't join you on the big adventure? Would you even apply for a job seven hours away?

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I think you need to make the decision with a long-term plan in mind.

I mean, you can't live apart forever, right? Wrong?