Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Love and money

Last year, I ran into a financial dilemma while waiting to receive a check.

Long story short: I had to pay a $200 bill. If I paid the bill in the absence of the aforementioned check, I'd have all of maybe $5 left in my account. That's a very abbreviated version, but you get the idea.

My boyfriend offered to lend me $200 to pay my bill -- assuming I paid him back as soon as The Check came through. That way, I'd have a financial cushion in case of an emergency.

I seriously contemplated the offer. But ultimately, I refused the loan.

I don't regret it.

I remembered the experience after finding this online advice column. A woman wants to know if she should lend her boyfriend money. The response from readers is an overwhelming NO.

Among the comments: "Business and pleasure should never mix."

From an outsider's perspective, it's easy to understand why you shouldn't combine finance and romance. But sometimes, direct involvement in a relationship makes us believe a partner's trust transcends the potential pitfalls of loaning and borrowing money.

What do you think? Is it ever OK to loan your significant other money? Does being married or unmarried make a difference?