Friday, February 16, 2007

any way u want it

When my college roommate Benita first flooded our dorm room with the musical symphony that is "Don't Stop Believing," I never imagined that years later I'd be panting with pride during a Journey dance-off at a local bar.
Such was the case Thursday night, when I showcased my take on the rock band's "Any Way You Want It." We didn't declare an official winner, but let's just say I was asked minutes later to dance on the bar to "Pour Some Sugar on Me." Score.
And thank you, God, for not letting me fall in my four-inch heels.
Dancing is one of my favorite activities in the entire world. Probably because I think I'm really good at it. In college, I even choreographed my own dance to Shakira's "Obsession," and performed it at most of our sorority formals.
In spite of all its allure, dancing at the same time has caused a serious rift in many of my romantic relationships. In high school, I dated a guy who bought me dinner, boasted a pretty pimp job in the fast food industry and repeatedly validated my belief in being the coolest person in the entire world...but he didn't dance.
It was awful. We'd go to proms and he'd literally just move his head back and forth. And not even in tune with the rhythm. Worst. Dancer. Ever.
But he wasn't alone. Even during college's sorority formals, the dance floor would 90 percent of the time be crowded entirely by women. Guys usually made a cameo during the remaining 10 percent of the time -- slow dances -- but only in hopes of copping a feel. At least in my case.
So here's the question: Does any guy actually like to dance? Or, is it just one of the many ritualistic sacrifices en route to getting action?
Send me your thoughts and have a fabulous weekend.