Monday, February 5, 2007

can't touch this?

There I was, ridding my body of back knots while my fellow guests rooted for teams whose names I still hadn't fully memorized.
One of the best parts of the Super Bowl party I attended? A masseuse, who treaded my back's delicate territory for 10 pleasure-filled minutes. It was my first massage not governed by ulterior motives and I loved every minute of it. Sure, I didn't go home with an eligible young bachelor, but I still like to say I scored. Big time.
But my stint in the massage seat got me thinking about touch. When you're lucky, it's an endearing sign of affection, a prelude to a relationship's short- or long-term ecstasy. Everyone has at least one fling whose touch they remember vividly, sometimes even to the extent of trying to recreate it with future love interests.
However, when you're unlucky, touch can signal repulsion. And not just in terms of uninvited touch. Sometimes, a strong emotional connection is paired with a physical connection that's hardly as intense.
Nothing beats connecting with a guy...and then realizing he has invisible machetes on his fingertips. What's worse? He thinks he's an Italian masseuse in disguise.
When this happens...among men OR women...what's the right thing to do? Approach the subject gently, or let it go for the sake of pride? And when, if ever, does bad touch make you out of touch with a relationship's value?
Happy Monday. Keep in touch. Carefully.