Friday, February 23, 2007

best book ever?

Just a day after plugging my most recent column about the role that rumors and reputations play in relationships, I received a MySpace message informing me I'm now an entry on The Ex Book.
I'd never heard of the site before, but after a quick point and click, I learned it's one of the "reputation managers" I addressed in my column. Essentially, the site lets you "research your current and past relationships" and "tell the world about your ex." But here's the extra hook -- it's also a matchmaking/networking site, so exes can connect and find blissful love. Read: ensuring the creation of even more messed up relationships.
Of course, you can do it all for a nominal membership fee of 99 cents a month for a year, or $3.95 for one month.
Initially, the membership fee alone made me ditch the site, even though I was curious about what an ex could have written about me. Then, I noticed the MySpace message gave me a free trial subscription code to get into the site, but I had to fill out a detailed form with personal information like my home address.
Sure, I suppose I could have just lied, but the extensive info request alone was enough to make me hit the "close" button on the Internet window.
So I guess I'll never know what an ex may or may not have written about me. And I think I'm OK with that. Honestly, the Ex Book bothers me. It goes a step beyond the average "reputation management" site and actually urges its visitors to research their CURRENT relationships.
Or...call me crazy...you can actually TALK to your significant other.
And, if by some chance there is some chance an ex stalking the cyber world with tales of my lack of sexual prowess, I apologize. We probably should have made out digitally.
Have a great weekend, everyone. Tell me all about your shenanigans.