Thursday, January 31, 2008

mardi gras!!

This week's column is about Tuesday's Mardi Gras festivities. Read the full column here, or simply check out this rundown:

*Two for Fat Tuesday Block Party -- A $2 wristband gets you into the majority of downtown Columbus hot spots. Those bars will also have $2 hurricanes all night.

*Shanty Shack -- Local party band Mindblender will play at the hot spot, in a party that begins at 3 p.m. You can also expect some DJ music. It's at 4475 Warm Springs Road. No cover charge. See the Web site here.

*Memory Lane -- The Great American Hunks will entertain. Doors open for ladies at 7, show starts at 9. Guys will be allowed inside around 11. Drink specials, no cover.

*Soho Bar & Grill -- Expect free beads, jambalaya and zydeco music. No cover. The bar's at 5751 Milgen Road, see its Web site here.

I'll be at as many of the parties as I can, snapping photos for a special edition blog recap. Sunday, I'll hit up the local Party City, 5555 Whittlesey Blvd., to get some cool Mardi Gras accessories. See the selection, which includes some pretty sweet Mardi Gras-patterned nylons, here.

Believe it or not, Mardi Gras in Columbus is pretty fun. Last year, I worked a long day and, hesitant to go out, I fell asleep around 11. But curiosity got the best of me when I woke up at 1, and I headed straight downtown -- work clothes and all. I am a party addict. Good times.

Keep me posted with any other local Fat Tuesday festivities, and stay tuned to this blog for all your nightlife essentials.