Tuesday, May 19, 2009

First impressions

Monday, some of my friends were captivated by the premiere of the newest installment of "The Bachelorette."

I didn't watch, mainly because I just don't have the brain capacity to follow the show when 30 potential suitors are involved. Narrow the pool to four and I'll be hooked.

I'm always amazed at how reality TV dating contestants are forced to give so many of their prospects the boot after such a short period of time.

I realize producers must manipulate the process to some extent, but I wonder which factors go through a Bachelor or Bachelorette's mind during the first cut.

And just as often, I wonder what would go through my mind if I was in a similar scenario.

Some obvious factors feed early attraction: good smile, nice sense of humor, admirable grooming habits.

But there are also quirky things that hook people just as commonly. Say, a specific hairstyle or speech pattern.

When it comes to first impressions, which traits make you keep somebody around?