Monday, May 4, 2009

going dutch

Whenever Alan suggests we split a dinner check, I respond with the same line, "No. That makes me feel like a fifth-grader."

You can't blame me. At least among women, there's often a certain social stigma attached to going dutch. It seems to imply that your relationship isn't as serious, that you're existing in separate spheres.

That was my mentality upon entering the $20/person cocktail tasting at Flip Flops last week. As Alan and I stepped inside the bar, I prepared for one of us to cover both tasting fees. But when the bartender asked for our money, we each handed him a $20.

Without any bells, whistles or screaming, we went dutch for the first time. And I kind of loved it.

The debate over splitting checks is making headlines, thanks to the lagging economy. Here, the NY Times says dating hasn't disappeared because of the recession, but people are looking for more affordable ways to date, including going dutch.

The Frisky recently blogged about splitting checks and the post saw more than 100 comments.

Is going dutch a dating "do" or "don't"?