Thursday, May 21, 2009

You bore me

What's the meanest thing a significant other has ever said to you?

I started thinking about that question after reading this article from The Frisky. It's a list of mean things women say to men.

In the romance world, verbal spars aren't gender-specific. Probably the meanest line a guy's told me is, "I should be attracted to you, but I'm not." Kinda harsh, right?

But unfortunately, in relationships, the biggest emotional pain often comes from saying nothing at all.

The pain of NOT hearing "I love you" is sometimes far worse than hearing "I don't love you."

I've written before about my totally tactful MySpace breakup. In that situation, when I was dumped indirectly, I would have much rather heard a 30-minute tirade about my lack of romantic appeal.

Something -- even when it's mean -- is better than nothing.