Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Boobquake

This morning, I opened my Facebook inbox and spotted an invitation to "Boobquake."

I quickly dismissed the post, assuming it was yet another ill-devised local nightlife event.

I was wrong.

After perusing national news a few minutes later, I learned Boobquake isn't a bikini contest at all.

It's an idea created by feminist blogger Jen McCreight in response to a Tehran religious leader's reported assertion that immodest women spread adultery, which increases earthquakes.

Poking fun at the belief, McCreight is encouraging women to wear cleavage-showing apparel on Monday -- you know, to see if it really causes the Earth to rumble. You can also wear short shorts.

Monday's movement, Boobquake, already has its own Facebook page with more than 10,600 confirmed guests.

Who's in?