Monday, April 5, 2010

PDA wars continue

Happy Monday, everybody! Hope you had a great Easter. I'll kick the week off with a topic addressed frequently here: the PDA.

I don't think there's anyone who enjoys watching a couple play tonsil hockey in a public place.

It's one thing to hate PDAs. It's another thing to vocally wage a crusade against them.

Case in point: This item on the NY Times' City Room Blog, where a Manhattan woman complains about the PDAs that happen in places like subways and coffee shops.

The post has generated nearly 500 comments. Some praise the writer for reminding readers of basic social etiquette. Others say she needs to lighten up or fight a more important battle.

My biggest pet peeve is the PDA that happens in a narrow space, like a bank line, where you literally can't help being inches away from the couple smooching. In other cases, I just avert my eyes.

I understand when people dislike PDAs in restaurants or even the gym.

But is it unreasonable to complain about PDAs in nightclubs, places usually dominated by a meet market mentality?