Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Al & Tipper Gore separate

I'm obsessed with the blogosphere's reactions to news that Al and Tipper Gore will separate.

As with every high-profile separation, I'm surprised by how many people seem personally invested in the Gores' relationship.

Comments like "they were so happy" just seem silly when we see such a limited picture of other people's marriages.

Maybe the Gores' separation has generated more discussion than the average split because it comes after a 40-year marriage.

In college, I went through a period when many of my 20-something friends' parents got divorced.

It was a wakeup call, evidence that divorce doesn't revolve around the stresses of having small children or deciding who's going to drive to soccer practice.

After reading many posts about the Gores, this DoubleX analysis stuck with me the most. The writer applauds the couple for the courage in announcing their separation. Here's why:

But I suppose I just really object to the discourse in which marriages are deemed a success if they end in death and a failure if they end in divorce. It turns marriage into a competitive sport and shames divorcees for making what was usually the best choice for them. It's also misleading.

Everyone's been around those longstanding couples who loathe each other but are prevented from ending it because of inertia. I can't support any system that privileges couples who snipe at each other every chance they get over those who decide to part ways instead of making themselves and everyone around them miserable.

Food for thought, right?