Thursday, June 3, 2010

Beat up my boyfriend, Dad

Here's an interesting study that suggests college students with "helicopter parents" -- the ones who hover and assist them as adults -- end up narcissistic and afraid of taking risks.

Huge shock, right?

I've always been close with my parents and even as a 28-year-old woman, I admit I phone home perhaps a bit too excessively. But with the exception of household maintenance concerns, I rarely call to ask for help with life issues.

On another note, where do you draw the line when it comes to helicopter parenting and dating?

Somebody recently told me about a 20-something who let her mom chew out an ex who cheated.

Inappropriate? Maybe. Believable? Definitely.

Especially when it comes to daughters, it's only natural for parents to want to guard a child's feelings. Even if that child is 25.

I've been there, and I think it's pretty sweet. But I wouldn't ever let my mom get on the phone with one of my exes.

And you?