Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lady in red

I stumbled upon Lemondrop's discussion of red wedding dresses on the day my one of my friends posted a Facebook item wondering if she should buy a pink wedding gown.

My first instinct? Go for it.

Pink and red are my favorite colors, not to mention the fact that the hues offer more wear-again potential than a standard pristine white dress.

Just as I'm getting caught up in a pink wedding fantasy, reality sinks in. My family would die if I made the dream a reality. No joke, I can imagine my mom heaving at the thought alone.

White gowns might be rooted in nothing but a silly tradition, but I fear opting for something dramatically different could lead to serious regret years later.

In fourth grade, I sang in an outdoor televised choir event. It was a breezy day, but I refused to wear a sweater. You know, because I wanted to stand out.

Later, I watched my performance on the news and I looked like a giant doofus amid a sea of sweaters.

I feel like going the nontraditional gown route could result in that kind of regret.

Weigh in: Would you wear a pink or red wedding dress?

(Get more wedding tips on Katie's Crinoline and Lace blog.)