Monday, June 14, 2010

Mix Ultra Lounge



Hey everybody! Blog posts were a bit sparse last week because -- get ready for a big reveal -- I was on vacation. My avid stalkers will remember I originally planned the week as a staycation.

However, early in the week I stumbled upon a great rental deal on a Panama City Beach condo. Apparently some people are leery of the whole oil spill situation.

We took the plunge, and I was thrilled to find absolutely no traces of oil on the beach.

The biggest casualty was the extremely pregnant woman who decided to wear only a bikini top and hippie skirt to a dine-in restaurant.

So that was my vacation. I got back in town Friday only to learn our booming metropolis had added a new nightclub in my absence.

Mix Ultra Lounge, 1107 Broadway, opened its doors Friday night. Remember, this club is owned by Roonie G -- a DJ who hails from Columbus, but regularly performs in places like Vegas.

I got the news just in time to check out Mix's grand opening. I learned one of the biggest things about the nightclub while at the door: a strictly enforced formal dress code.

So strictly enforced, in fact, that my date didn't make it past the entry line. The culprit? His lack of a collared shirt.

Long story short, Mix is the first truly upscale club I've seen in Columbus since I moved here four years ago. Cover on Friday was $10 and VIP tables surrounded the dance floor.

I made a short video of my experience, but the dark setup makes it appear a little "Blair Witch."

Can Columbus support an upscale nightclub? We'll see.