Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Furry Vengeance

It's time to take your stuffed animal obsession out of the closet.

Jezebel directs us to a new survey suggesting more than a third of adults travel with a stuffed animal.

I've never been a huge stuffed animal fan, but during my many years of competitive speaking I experienced the strange phenomenon of young adults intent on carrying toy bears for success.

They often became state champions, I didn't. Guess we know who got the last laugh.

Anyway, the most interesting part of the aforementioned Jezebel post is the writer's conclusion about the gender stigmas surrounding stuffed animal fandom:

I have to admit to a certain double standard here — while I find male teddy-bear-cuddling kind of charming, and indicative of a rebellion against the strictures of traditional masculinity, I'm a little bit icked out by female stuffed animal love. To cuddle a plush toy well into womanhood is, in a way, to play into the infantilization of women in American culture.

I think that when it comes to adulthood, male and female stuffed animal cuddlers are equally creepy.

Where do you stand?