Tuesday, August 24, 2010

One-night stands rock

Don't worry, Mom: This post's headline is solely designed to hook readers' attention so I can detail the results of a recent study, which you might not enjoy.

Despite cautionary tales against "hooking up," recent sociological research from the University of Iowa suggests otherwise. An excerpt:

The study suggests that rewarding relationships are possible for those who delay sex. But it's also possible for true love to emerge if things start off with a more 'Sex and the City' approach, when people spot each other across the room, become sexually involved and then build a relationship.

I found the item on Salon's Broadsheet and I was interested to read the online comments.

When I last checked, the majority of readers seemed to favor the study, meeting it with a "no duh" approach.

To some extent, I think the phrase "hooking up" has gained an unnecessarily harsh stigma in recent years.

But at the same time, the outlook mentioned in the aforementioned study often relies on both people being on the same page at the hookup's onset. And I think that's rarely the case.

Thoughts?