Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sex parties

I need to assure my boss that this post will not lead to a closed-door meeting. Done.

But the title threw you, didn't it?

The term "sex parties" describes an apparent new trend of parents throwing a party to reveal a baby's sex.

Some people get an ultrasound, have the doctor write the baby's sex inside a sealed envelope and take the envelope to a baker. The baker makes a cake with pink or blue icing inside.

You cut the cake in front of family and friends, learn the sex of your baby...and maybe receive a few Target gift cards in the process.

When I first read about the rising trend, I got bitter.

It seems like people in my generation need to mark every life milestone with at least three parties.

Birthdays have become "birthday weeks." We celebrate an upcoming wedding with an engagement party, a bachelorette party and a bridal shower.

Babies come with a "wow, we're pregnant" party, a few showers and now, apparently, a sex party.

Naturally, I'm apprehensive because the people who savor these multiple parties are generally the same ones who enjoy reminding me that I'm unmarried and childless.

Also, I have concerns about how many private moments have entered the public sphere.

But then my inner optimist kicks in.

Even if we've gone overboard on celebrations, the days we dread still seem to outnumber the ones we savor.

So really, what's the harm in having another party?