Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tracks of my tears

Jezebel poses an interesting question: How do you deal with a stranger crying in public?

The writer's succinct conclusion:

As long as you don't pry to try to work the situation to your advantage, you're not a Creepy McCreeperson.

Visit the nightlife scene long enough and you'll inevitably encounter a stranger crying in a bar bathroom. This is always an awkward scenario, especially if he/she is blocking the sink.

I always try to at least briefly acknowledge the tears. I generally succumb to a simple, "Are you OK?"

Yes, I know it's trite and obviously the woman is not OK because she's crying. Whatever. Formalities, people!

Generally, your conversation will end with that exchange.

Occasionally the person will unload a bunch of emotional baggage on you, but you're more likely to get a dishonest "yeah, I'm fine."

Weigh in: How do you handle tearful strangers?