Monday, September 10, 2007

false advertising


Happy Monday!

This week's usual weekend recap is a rant directed toward the disorganization that's grown to characterize the typical downtown bar crawl.

I began my night at The Loft, since I had promised former Columbus resident John Scott Evans that I'd stop by and listen to his set. I figured it would all work out well, since The Loft was one of the bars slated to participate in a First Friday Bar Crawl that lets you get into the majority of downtown hot spots for one unspecified cover charge.

So I handed my $10 to the guy checking IDs at The Loft and asked for a bar crawl wristband.

Cool, right?

Wrong.

He said, "Um, we're not participating in the bar crawl."

Though annoying, under normal circumstances I would have accepted the explanation as a misunderstanding on my part, or some sort of last-minute fluke.

Except on the outdoor walls of The Loft, there was a poster listing the hot spot as a participant. (See photo above.)

That was probably the epitome of the night's disorganization, but as the bar crawl progressed I learned that few bars had the drink specials that organizers touted as one of the night's main draws. Moreover, the lip print contest at Rumors, originally slated for Labor Day weekend, had been postponed yet another week.

Yes, I know some level of disorganization is expected whenever nightlife plans are concerned. But if Columbus really wants to give area partiers consistent nightlife options, bar owners need to show us they have their stuff together.
Thoughts?