Monday, September 17, 2007

weekend recap


It was a pretty typical weekend in Columbus, with the obvious highlight being my trip to Memory Lane Friday night. (Shout out to the avid blog fan I met in the parking lot...did I give you an adequate assessment of the crowd?)

Memory Lane, as you'll read in this week's bar profile, is a club that has long been stereotyped as a top destination for older partiers. I, however, have never seen that to be the case. In fact, I've always considered it a simply less crowded version of the Shanty Shack. Granted, the ambiance is a little stiff, and the majority of the chairs inside are the kind you sat in while taking the SAT.

That said, it's a friendly, down-home type place that often doesn't get the credit it deserves.

One of my favorite things about Memory Lane is its emphasis on line dancing, which I love. I pretty much consider myself the best line dancer in the world. My only handicap is the fact that I have absolutely no sense of rhythm.

My favorite line dance is by far the Electric Slide. I often try to do it while driving. Not a good idea.

Anyway, about 45 minutes into my stay at the club, I encountered a major Electric Slide emergency. The DJ put the song on, but only two people occupied the dance floor. And they were just dancing normally, with complete disregard for the intricate choreography.

So I jumped out of my (high school classroom) chair and tried to show them how it's done. See the result in the pic above.

It's electric!