Monday, January 12, 2009

just friends?

If you caught Sunday's Golden Globes, you probably saw Kate Winslet profess her love for Leo DiCaprio while accepting an award. Her exact words: "I love you with all my heart, I really do."

She's married.

Many viewers dismissed the line as a simply an indication of a very strong friendship. But the writers over at The Frisky say it raises a good debate:

What are the limits of opposite-sex friendships when you're in a relationship?

I feel pretty strongly about this one. It's fine to hang out in mixed-gender groups of friends. But when you have a significant other, I don't think it's acceptable to go out to drinks or dinner alone with a member of the opposite sex.

I've seen many attached girls do this with guys they say are "friends," and I consider it super annoying. Generally, the girl will counter with something like, "But nobody understands me like he does."

Who cares? Find a new friend.

Game over.