Monday, January 26, 2009

sex can wait. exfoliate.

Thinking of getting your man a loofah for Valentine's Day, ladies? You might want to hold off.

This article tells why real men don't like spas. Among the reasons:

If we sign up for treatment at a mixed facility, the experience is never anything less than sweat-inducingly humiliating. The girls on the reception desk appear to be making fun of us as we fill in the health questionnaire, the throwaway sandals are at least four sizes too small, and the gown is comically short in the leg and arm. We don't have the nous to say exactly what we want because we don't want to appear overly expert in such arrant girliness.

Secretly, I've always questioned my female friends whose go-to gift for their man is an exfoliation treatment or massage.

Once while I was visiting my favorite Las Vegas spa, I met a woman who gave her husband a full day of skin treatment services for his birthday. The package was worth a couple hundred dollars.

If I ever did that for a guy, I'm sure the gift certificate would just sit there until I guilted him into using it. Then, with my luck, he'd probably get a really hot masseuse and I'd spend the entire hour worrying they were having a hot affair.

Spa gift certificates for men: Glowing gift or radiant disappointment?